FortiClient EMS is installed with Microsoft SQL Server Express, which has a file size limit of 10 GB per database. Log entries recorded in the database are rotated on a schedule of seven days (one week) by default. If the FortiClient deployment is large, the database size may reach the 10 GB limit over time. The FortiClient EMS administrator may upgrade the default SQL Server installation from Express to Standard or Enterprise edition. The database file size limit for these editions is in the PB range, which is unlimited for most practical usage.
See the following Microsoft documentation on upgrading between editions called Upgrade to a Different Edition of SQL Server 2014 (Setup).
The EMS database is saved in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL12.FCEMS\MSSQL\DATA\FCM_root.mdf file in the EMS host server. This file's size should remain below the 10 GB limit for Microsoft SQL Server Express.
It is recommended to do a database edition upgrade outside normal production hours.
- Attach the SQL Server 2014 installation media to the FortiClient EMS server.
The installation media is a DVD or ISO file. If using the DVD, insert the DVD into the EMS host computer (host server). If your host server is a virtual machine, use the ISO file.
- Run the SQL Server setup application wizard.
- In the SQL Server Installation Center wizard, go to Maintenance > Edition Upgrade.
- Enter the product key.
- Accept the license terms, then click Next.
- Under Select Instance, in the Specify the instance of SQL Server dropdown list, select FCEMS. Then, click Next.
- Under Ready to upgrade edition, click Upgrade.
- After the upgrade is complete, click Finish.