Installing and licensing EMS
Before installing EMS, it is recommended to review the server, hardware, software, and port requirements in the FortiClient EMS Administration Guide. Also, follow the guidelines below:
- Ensure that EMS is installed on a dedicated server.
- Check that port 443 is not in use.
- Ensure access to EMS is available. Open any firewall ports as needed.
- By default, FortiClient EMS is installed with SQL Server Express. If you have an existing instance of SQL Server (Express, Enterprise, or Standard) installed on the EMS server, you can customize the SQL Server instance by installing EMS using the CLI. Note that when managing more than 5000 endpoints, it is recommended to use FortiClient EMS with SQL Server Enterprise or Standard. See the FortiClient EMS Administration Guide for details.
It is recommended to provide remote users direct access to the EMS server. In this case, you must configure EMS FQDN-accessible from the inside and outside. You must also open the following ports to allow client access:
- 8013: receive profile updates
- 10443: allow downloading software updates