When newly installed, EMS is not licensed, and FortiClient cannot connect to it. You must purchase a license through FortiCare. You can use one of two methods to apply the newly acquired license on EMS:
- Provide the FortiCare account information on EMS
- Download the license from FortiCare and upload it to EMS. This method is the same as earlier versions of EMS. You can also use this method in combination with providing the FortiCare account information on EMS.
When you provide the FortiCare account information on EMS, EMS retrieves the license file from FortiCare and applies it locally. When the license expires, EMS contacts FortiCare during the grace period to check for a license renewal, and, if available, downloads the new license.
To activate and retrieve the license from FortiCare:
- Go to Administration > Configure License.
- Under License Source, select FortiCare.
- Do one of the following:
- Log into your FortiCare account to purchase the EMS license. You can view all of your license entitlements in FortiCare.
- In EMS, on the Administration > Configure License page, click Update License. EMS downloads the license from FortiCare. If the FortiCare account credentials change, you can click Edit Account to update the credentials. You can also click Delete Account to remove FortiCare credentials from EMS.