FortiClient now supports a Web Filter plugin that improves detection and enforcement of Web Filter rules on HTTPS sites. The plugin is currently available on the Chrome browser for Windows endpoints and will be available for other major browsers in future releases. There is currently no implementation for macOS or Linux platforms.
- In EMS, go to Endpoint Profiles > Manage Profiles. Create a new profile or edit an exiting profile.
- On the Web Filter tab, enable Enable Web Browser Plugin for HTTPS Web Filtering. Click Save.
- Create a new endpoint policy or edit an existing one to assign the profile to a group or OU. FortiClient receives the profile changes with the next Telemetry communication.
- In FortiClient on the endpoint, open the Chrome browser and go to chrome://extensions.
- Install or enable the FortiClient WebFilter extension.
When the FortiClient WebFilter extension is not installed or enabled on an endpoint and the end user attempts to browse to a webpage in Chrome, the following notification displays.
After enabling the extension, a FortiClient Web Filter icon appears on the right side of the URL address bar. Web Filter rules function as configured.
You can view the Web Filter events on EMS. If configured, the Web Filter events are also sent to FortiAnalyzer.