The following instructions guide you though the installation of FortiClient on a Microsoft Windows computer. For more information, see the FortiClient (Windows) Release Notes.
To check FortiClient's digital signature, right-click the installation file and select Properties. In this menu you can set file attributes, run the compatibility troubleshooter, view the digital signature and certificate, install the certificate, set file permissions, and view file details.
- Double-click the FortiClient executable file. The Setup Wizard launches.
- In the Welcome to the FortiClient Setup Wizard screen, perform the following actions:
- Click Next to continue. The Destination Folder screen displays.
- (Optional) Click Change to choose an alternate folder destination for installation.
- Click Next to continue.
FortiClient searches the target system for other installed AV software. If found, FortiClient displays the Conflicting Antivirus Software page. You can exit the current installation and uninstall the AV software, disable the conflicting software's AV feature, or continue with the installation with FortiClient realtime protection (RTP) disabled. FortiClient automatically disables RTP when one of the following is true:
- The OS is a server.
- Exchange Server is detected.
- SQL Server is detected.
A dialog displays during a new FortiClient installation and when upgrading from an older FortiClient version that does not have the AV feature installed. It is recommended to uninstall conflicting AV software before installing FortiClient or enabling the AV RTP feature. Alternatively, you can disable the conflicting software's AV feature.
- Click Next. The Ready to install FortiClient screen displays.
- Complete the installation:
- Click Install.
- Click Finish. On a new FortiClient installation, you do not need to reboot your system. When upgrading the FortiClient version, you must restart your system for the configuration changes made to FortiClient to take effect. Select Yes to restart your system now or select No to manually restart later. FortiClient updates signatures and components from the FDN.
- FortiClient attempts to connect FortiClient Telemetry to EMS.
- To launch FortiClient, double-click the desktop shortcut.