FortiWeb-VM includes a free 15-day trial license that includes all features except:
- High availability (HA)
- FortiGuard updates
- Technical support
Once the trial expires, most functionality is disabled. You need to purchase a license to continue using FortiWeb-VM.
When you purchase a license for FortiWeb-VM, Fortinet Customer Service & Support (https://support.fortinet.com) provides a license file that you can use to convert the trial license to a permanent, paid license.
You can upload the license via the web UI. The uploading process does not interrupt traffic or trigger an appliance reboot.
|FortiWeb-VM requires an Internet connection to periodically re-validate its license. It cannot be evaluated in offline, closed network environments. If FortiWeb-VM cannot contact Fortinet’s FDN for 24 hours, it locks access to the web UI and CLI.
For detailed instructions for accessing the web UI and uploading the license, see the FortiWeb-VM Install Guide:
To upload the license
- Go to the FortiWeb-VM web UI.
- Log in to the web UI as the
- Go to System > Status > License. When you click the line “VM License”, the system will prompt “Update VM License”, then you can upload the license file and wait for validation.
- After the new license is validated successfully, FortiGuard Information widget on System > Config > FortiGuard in the web UI will display detailed updated license information.
- Click Update.
- Browse to the license file (
.lic) you downloaded earlier from Fortinet, then click OK.
- In the message box, click Refresh.
- Log in again.
- To verify that the license was uploaded successfully, log in to the web UI again, then view the FortiGuard Information widget. The VM License row should say Valid.
For hypervisor deployments, the URL is the default IP address of
port1 of the virtual appliance, such as
For FortiWeb-VM deployed on AWS, the URL is the public DNS address displayed in the instance information for the appliance in your AWS console.
For hypervisor deployments, by default, the
admin user does not use a password.
For AWS deployments, by default, the password is the AWS instance ID.
FortiWeb connects to Fortinet to validate its license. In most cases, the process is complete within a few seconds. A message appears:
License has been uploaded. Please wait for authentication with registration servers.
If you uploaded a valid license, the following message is displayed:
License has been successfully authenticated with registration servers.
The web UI logs you out. The login dialog reappears.
Also view the System Information widget. The Serial Number row should have a number that indicates the maximum number of vCPUs that can be allocated according to the FortiWeb-VM software license, such as FVVM020000003619 (where “VM02” indicates a limit of 2 vCPUs).