You must obtain a license to activate the FortiGate. If you have not activated the license, you will see the license upload screen when you log into the FortiGate and cannot proceed to configure the FortiGate.
You can obtain licenses for the BYOL licensing model through any Fortinet partner. After you purchase a license or obtain an evaluation license (60-day term), you receive a PDF with an activation code.
- Go to Customer Service & Support and create a new account or log in with an existing account.
- Go to Asset > Register/Activate to start the registration process.
- In the Specify Registration Code field, enter your license activation code, then select Next to continue registering the product.
- Enter your details in the other fields as required.
- At the end of the registration process, download the license (.lic) file to your computer. You will upload this license later to activate the FortiGate-VM.
After registering a license, Fortinet servers may take up to 30 minutes to fully recognize the new license. When you upload the license (.lic) file to activate the FortiGate-VM, if you get an error that the license is invalid, wait 30 minutes and try again.