Adding a device using Discover mode
The following steps will guide you through the Add Device wizard phases to add a device using Discover mode.
FortiManager will not be able to communicate with the FortiGate if offline mode is enabled. Enabling offline mode will prevent FortiManager from discovering devices.
To add a device using Discover mode:
- If using ADOMs, ensure that you are in the correct ADOM.
- Go to Device Manager > Device & Groups.
- Click Add Device. The wizard opens.
- Select Discover. Type the IP address, user name, and password for the device, then click Next.
FortiManager probes the IP address on your network to discover device details, including:
- IP address
- Host name
- Serial number
- Device model
- Firmware version and build
- High Availability status
- Administrator user name
- Configure the following settings:
Type a unique name for the device. The device name cannot contain spaces or special characters.
Type a description of the device (optional).
System templates can be used to centrally manage certain device-level options from a central location. If required, assign a system template using the dropdown menu. Alternatively, you can select to configure all settings per-device inside Device Manager. For more information, see Provisioning Templates.
Add to Groups
Select to add the device to any predefined groups.
- Click Next.
The wizard discovers the device, and performs some or all of the following checks:
- Discovering device
- Creating device database
- Initializing configuration database
- Retrieving configuration
- Retrieving support data
- Updating group membership
- Successfully add device
- Check device status
After the wizard completes the checks, you are asked to choose whether to import policies and objects for the device now or later.
- Click Import Later to finish adding the device and close the wizard.
If you click Import Now, the wizard continues. The next step in the wizard depends on whether you are importing a FortiGate VDOM.
If you are importing a FortiGate VDOM, the following page is displayed with import options for the VDOM. Select an option, and click Next.
If you are not importing a FortiGate VDOM, the following page is displayed.
- Set the following options, then click Next:
- In the Policy Selection section, select Import All or Select Policies and Profile Groups to Import.
- In the Object Selection section, select Import only policy dependent objects or Import all objects.
- Check the device interface mappings.
- Select or clear the Add mappings for all unused device interfaces checkbox.
The list of objects that will be updated is displayed.
- Click Next.
A detailed summary of the import is shown. Click Download Import Report to download a report of the import. The report is only available on this page.
- Click Finish to finish adding the device and close the wizard.